Monday, January 12, 2009

Technologically Handicapped

Technologically handicapped. This is how I used to categorize myself in terms of technological aptitude. As a child and adolescent, I quickly learned to offer this catch phrase as my excuse for not knowing how to work a computer, a cellphone, a digital camera... you name it. People found it endearing that I adamantly refused to join the 21st century, and therefore, I was even more convinced to bask in my ignorance. However, my last stage changed my attitude completely. I began a project with my students that I was very passionate about. It involved them writing their own rap poems, taking photos of themselves, and then recording their voices, as well as adding in instrumental rap beats. I was determined to perfect and complete this endeavor, no matter how impossible it seemed, and so I challenged myself to familiarize myself with my cooperating teacher's iMac laptop and the following programs: iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD. I carefully listened to online guides, downloaded, redownloaded, recorded, rerecorded, and asked numerous questions. Eventually, I burned a souvenir DVD for each of my students. Throughout my internship, as I saw my project become a work of art, I continually developed a deeper sense of appreciation for technology. I was no longer simply a skeptical, uninformed adult, but one who could celebrate the many tools offered by computer technology.

However, despite the fact that I see technology's benefits, I am certainly also aware that technology and media institutions can promote idealogies that can be destructive to an individual's personal development. This "cultural critic" perspective has activism as its main goal and tries to fight stereotypes, while also liberating oppressing groups of people. The fact that technology can be misused, like anything else, makes it vital that teachers help their students to become "educated consumers" of the media and technology that surrounds them.

No comments:

Post a Comment