Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Getting Involved Via the Internet

The debate goes on: Is technology in the classroom beneficial to students? I would say, without a doubt, yes. However, I want to frame my answer carefully, for I do see the potential downfalls of technology and do not think that it should replace all other modes of teaching and learning. I want to specifically structure my use of technology, most notably the Internet, around the subjects of responsible world citizenship.

What do I mean by this? Well, I see a responsible world citizen as someone who is:

1. Aware of the plight of other human beings, wherever they may dwell
2. Conscious of the state of the natural environment
3. Motivated to bring positive change to all the creatures of the world

Essentially, I would have my students pick a main project to work on every term. The project should be related to topics such as environmentalism, animal rights, human rights, or disaster relief. In order for the students to feel more ownership of the project, I will allow them to search the Internet in teams of two for organizations they would like to support. I would then have each team present their favourite organization and what its cause is. The class as a whole would then democratically vote by ballot for the cause they think the class should support.

Following this initial activity, students would then have to do research on the chosen organization, as well as whatever they are advocating for. For example, if my class has decided to help Programa de Conservación y Educatión Ambiental, a conservation group for sea turtles in Costa Rica, I would then have them do Internet research on sea turtles, their habitat, diet, ancestry, and so on. The information gathered would spur on cross-curricular activities in language arts, science, and geography. Research can also go more broadly into the subject of animal rights, animal conservation, and environmental awareness. E-mails can be written to the organization. Correspondences can be initiated with children living on the Península de Osa in Costa Rica, where this organization is based. Perhaps my class could engage a classroom in Osa to volunteer some of their time to help with sea turtle conservation. My students could hold a film-viewing night about sea turtles and raise money to send to the program. There are endless possibilities, and it all can begin with showing students how to use the Internet as a tool to become involved in topics that should and do matter, both to them and the rest of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't consciously connected technology with global citizenship. I think you have a very good point. It is always interesting to read your entries and you write very well. I hope you find some ways of developing your sensitivity and writing aptitude.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete